Augusta dating woodstock il dating
Washington Street (now 6th Street) on the west was for General George Washington; Mc Intosh Street (now 7th Street) was for General Lachlan Mc Intosh; Jackson Street (8th Street) was for General James Jackson.All are now within the Augusta Downtown Historic District.
The building suffered significant damage in that period and was replaced in the 1760s.
Soldiers coming to Georgia during the war spread the word about fresh lands, and in the early 1770s new settlers arrived to claim land grants in the surrounding countryside.
In approximately 1797, one of the last important tobacco merchants in Augusta built the Ezekiel Harris House (also known as the Harris-Pearson-Walker House), which is representative of that nearly forgotten economic factor in Georgia’s history.
Augusta played a significant role in the American Revolution as one of the westernmost towns in the 13 British colonies.
Elbert Street (now 4th Street) to the east was for General Samuel Elbert; and Lincoln Street (now 3rd Street) was for General Benjamin Lincoln.
Both of these now lie within the boundaries of the Pinched Gut Historic District.
One of the most notable was George Walton, a Signer of the Declaration of Independence, who built his home, Meadow Garden, on what was then the outskirts of town.
Walton held many important offices, including Governor and Judge.
Walton Way, named in his honor, is the main artery through the Summerville Historic District, a suburban village originally laid out by Walton in the 1790s.